Friday, February 09, 2007

Progress Report for Rico

This is going to be a long post. I just received Rico's progress report from school. And I would love to share with you what is happening with Rico. Rico is doing a reading program called "Reading Milestones". He is working at a first grade reading level. I'm encouraged by his progress cause he's able to read words out of a book. That to me is terrific. He's on his third story called "Friends". Rico has been practicing his penmanship. He has been receiving instruction on how to fill out a job application, filling out a check, writing his address on an envelope with contained spaces. These are all works in progress. He needs to practice his g's and m's.
Rico's favorite subject is math. He uses Saxon 2 math curriculum. He is able to use the "addition" and "equal" functions of the calculator with ease. He's working on adding single-digit addition facts up to 18. Rico is able to count by 5's up to 40 with 100% accuracy. Rico can identify certain events on an analog clock like lunch and dismissal by answering yes/no questions on his DynaVox (speaking device he has) or by signing. Rico has gone with his teacher and some classmates on store excursions. At the store he learns how to navigate his cart respectfully through lines and people this is called isle etiquette =) He's also learning when it is safe to cross parking lots and streets. Rico also goes on work training days. Usually once a week. He's worked for Jay Group, Salvation Army, Rockland Plantation, and he helps daily when lunches are done at school to help push chairs and tables aside for the custodians to clean. He's doing great with that. I think that he likes to work and is proud of his accomplishments. Rico is learning how to use his Dynavox more for his voice. He really gets around well on it. Some of you may not know what his Dynavox is. Think of it as a small hand held computer. It has all kinds of words, sentences, numbers, etc. on it. Where he make sentences that will speak the words. And also ask questions. It audibly speaks for him. He needs to learn to use it more often for interaction with people. He mostly uses it at school. We want him to use it at home and other settings as well.
Rico seems to get along well with his peers. Altough at times his classmates don't always appreciate his form of humor. But at least he's doing things in humor and not out of spite or anger. Rico is a happy boy most of the time. We are very thankful for that. Rico needs to learn out to interact with adults. How to initiate greetings and so forth. Rico also has a problem with scratching. His teacher counted one time that he scratched or touched his face, body, head area about 40+ times in a 35 minute period. We aren't sure why he does that and if he is really itchy or is it just a habit or maybe his way of dealing with things. Rico is able to walk back forth daily from his class room to lunch everyday and back again. He sometimes takes the classroom trash out and is able to do that on his own. Rico's teacher tells me that he seems to be a popular guy at school receiving many greetings from his peers in the halls. That makes me happy. Some things we would like Rico to master but has not yet is learning how to button, how to fasten a zipper on a jacket, tie his shoes, learn how to cut his food with a knife and fork.
Rico is doing well at school he is definitely makeing progress and we are so very thankful for his progress. If you think of him you could pray for the things I've mentioned above that he needs help with. And last but not least pray that he will understand the love God has for him and in his own way come to understand the Gospel.
I would love if Rico could learn how to interact on Sunday mornings with worship. Learn how to sing and show expression and show and interest in what is happening around him. He usually checks out during worship and teachings and sits on the floor and plays with his shoes or something. We need wisdom on knowing what to work on with Rico if you could pray for that as well for us. And of course it's not just for Rico but having wisdom for all of our kids. I know you all know it is not easy raising children. But we do it by God's grace. Which reminds me of a song.........
Your grace opens the way
That I might draw near to You with my heart full of faith
Your grace is all undeserved
Though there are times I fail, still You are with me.

Your amazing grace is perfectly free.
Day by day Your grace empowering me
To please you in all things, to walk in Your ways
Completely forgiven, and it's all by your grace.

Your grace lightens my load
Gives me the strength I need to keep walking this road
Your grace is all that I need
Though I am weak, Your grace is mighty within me.

Praise God for his wonderful Grace!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for those wonderful details! I love hearing about Rico. I will try to remember to pray for the things you asked for. Gina

Anonymous said...

So nice to catch up on your blog! I really enjoyed the detailed info about Rico.....thanks for taking the time to write all that out.
It really helps me to know how to pray for him and you and Edwin as you seek to guide him.
By the way......wonder if some of us could take that "isle ettiquette" class......:-)
Much love,
Cynthia

Geoff and Karla said...

Thanks for the update on Rico...Your mother's heart is shining through...I really miss our weekly prayer times for our kids. Anyway Thanks for helping at the cafe. I can alway trust on you and Joanne to pitch in and make it work. Thanks so much.
Oh yeah I can smell snow coming or should I say my bones can feel snow coming....Yippee
Karla

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post Rico's school progress report. I loved reading it. Along with you and Edwin, I'm thrilled to hear about Rico's progress. Love, Lori

Anonymous said...

You know Carol, I'm so glad I read your blog today. I just want to give Rico a big hug because he is awesome! I had no idea all the different things he is learning in school and I think it is so exciting to know that he is learning at his own pace and I think he can teach us the importance of patience. Patience can be so very rewarding when the changes happen. With every step forward that Rico takes really becomes an awesome feeling! I'm feeling that right now! I love the little guy and you and Edwin have done wonders with him and your other children. Yes Carol, I'm in one of these moments when I just feel so proud that you are my sister and all that you do :)Janie