Thursday, December 07, 2006

a funeral..........

My Aunt Marian passed away on Dec. 3rd. Yesterday my husband and my sisters and our parents attended the funeral. Marian was married to my dad's youngest brother Aaron Jr. She died of cancer. It was a nice service attended by mostly Mennonite family's as my Aunt and Uncle are Mennonite. The older I get the more I appreciate my heritage. My parents left the Mennonite church a long time ago when I was but a wee child. But we definitely grew up around the Mennonite faith since most my dad's side is Mennonite. Something I really noticed yesterday during the service was the singing. Singing all accapella. Beautiful singing. Harmonic singing. Singing like you sing when you sing the songs over and over again where you know the tune inside and out. The sound was so calming and beautiful. Marian and Jr's oldest daughters family has 11 in there family sang a beautiful song together a song that there mom enjoyed. That was very touching. One of the pastors was reminiscing a little bit and quoted a phrase that my Uncle Jr. would say. It struck us all a little funny. It goes "If that doesn't ring your bell then your clapper must be broke" Ahh good stuff. Marian was buried at the Weavertown Mennonite Church's cemetary. That church holds a lot of memories for me. I grew up playing there at the church all the time riding my bike there round and round the church. My sister and I learned how to drive stick shift there on the little hill. And my grandparents are buried at the cemetary there so we often walk there to take a look at there head stones. Lots of good memories. As my friend Cynthia said one time to me. You never regret going to funerals. She's right I was very glad to be at the service and support my family during there time of sorrow.
Marian Elizabeth Lapp - October 23, 1939 - December 3, 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carol,
Thanks for sharing a very intimate part of your life with your blogger friends. I'm so very sorry about the loss of your aunt. She sounded like a lovely woman. (As a side note, I really like what your wrote. It really made me feel as if I was there and your words made me feel as if I got to know something about your Aunt.)
Love you tons!
Lori