Saturday, August 04, 2007

pride....

I have to tell you all a humbling but funny story. I needed sunglasses so Rico and I headed to Marshall's. I found a pair bought them and headed out to the car. Of course I wanted to wear them right away so I took the sticky label off of the side. This took me awhile but I was determined and eventually got the label off. But then I realized I have no way to get the plastic ring that has the big price tag on that stores always strategically place right in the middle of the sunglasses so that when you try them on you can never truly see what you look like. I didn't have Edwin with me whose teeth can just chomp right through that plastic. Last time I tried that I chipped my tooth so no way was I going to attempt to dislocate the ring. So I just tore off the label and thought oh well I'm just going home no one will see the big ole plastic thing in the middle of my sunglasses and off I went. Meanwhile I decided to treat Rico to his fave place "Burger King". I drive up to the window and I notice the lady looking at me a little longer then normal as if what I thought was her admiring how my new sunglasses looked on me. Of course in my mind I'm thinking oh yeah I must look pretty cool in my new shades. I get the food and the change and drive off. As I'm driving off I a steal a little look in my rear view mirror to assure myself once again that I "look good" in my sunglasses. That's when I started to laugh cause I forgot that the plastic thingy was still hanging in the middle of my shades. Bam! humbled just like that. The lady was probably thinking doesn't that lady realize she has the plastic thingy hanging on her glasses. Or maybe she was thinking.."did she steal those glasses". God is good to remind us that we need to be humble in all things.

Matthew 23:12
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

5 comments:

Jack and Gina Plain said...

I am laughing so hard right now thinking of you feeling pretty good about yourself and having that plastic thing hanging there! Not only were you humbled but you provided me with some much needed comic relief. Thanks, my friend.

Love, Gina

Carol said...

Yeah, and now that I've bought the glasses and have worn them a little bit I've decided I don't really care for them. sigh.....

Steph B. said...

Awwww!!! Thanks for the humility :) It is amazing how a little thing like a plastic ring can make someone humble.

Unknown said...

great story Carol Joy!

Julie Garner said...

I am laughing out loud at this! SOOOO Funny! Totally something that would happen to me!!!

Julie