Friday, January 11, 2008

crackalackin....


Today I had my first tooth pulled as an adult. A couple days ago the left side of my jaw started hurting. So a trip to the dentist ensued. He said well it's cracked going to have to send you to another doctor to see if they can save the tooth through a root canal. I'm thinking man not a root canal they cost at least 800 dollars. Amazingly I did not get charged for my dentist visit. Next I went to see Dr. Samii a nice quiet doctor. He said yup it's cracked vertically and there is nothing he can do for me. No charge there either except for the xray. My dentist doesn't pull teeth so I was sent to a third doctor the oral doctor to have my tooth pulled. Thankfully they got me an appt. for today so I wouldn't have to go through the weekend with a hurting tooth and jaw. I must say I was pretty tense after they stabbed me in the roof of the mouth with the needle. I sat in the chair trying to calm myself. Big breaths in out in out any minute he's going to come back in the room and yank this tooth out. Okay Jesus please help me and please make sure it's completely numb before they do the deed. I here the door open ahhh he's coming. Here we go. First he cracked up the tooth a little and then he said sorry I'm going to have drill a little. Okay it's not going to bad I don't feel anything but the whole time I'm thinking any moment a searing pain is going to occur. Praise God there was no pain but there was a lot of tugging on my tooth to the point where you think please give tooth and then it did. I'm telling you the roots felt like they were a foot long. I should have asked to see it but I didn't. And the best part of the story is there really was no pain during or after. They offered me Vicadin but I said no. My first doctor had already given me Tylenol with Codene and it was working fine. What a relief it is to have the tooth out and it's amazing how good I feel and the tooth is way in the back where you can't see it anyway. Actually my experience is that pulling a tooth is easier then getting a filling. Grand total 330 dollars.

2 comments:

Jack and Gina Plain said...

Oh Carol, you are so funny. I love the way you walk us through by detail. You have a way of making me feel like I am right there with you white knuckles and all. I can't believe you didn't get charged office visits for the first two docs. You know I love a bargain, but $330 is still a lot of money. It sounds like it could have been way worse so that's good news, relatively speaking. Once the novacane wore off, did you regret saying no to Vicadin or did you continue to sail through? I'm glad they could get you through and you didn't have to have an achy tooth and the dread of going for too long.

Love, Gina

Boronow Family Blog said...

Carol... I wouldn't charge you $330 to pull your tooth. I would have done it as a gift. Okay, i don't have the good numbing stuff, but it the old days they just gave you shots of whiskey.

Glad your tooth ache is gone, and that it was a good experience overall.

Lynn