Monday, October 08, 2007

funeral........

 

 

 


We buried Daddy on Saturday, Oct.6th. We were so blessed at the amount of friends and family who came to the viewing and the funeral. I think my dad would have been surprised. It was a joy to greet each visitor. The viewing was on Friday night from 6-9 but the line started before 6 and it ended about 10:15 that night. I would have gladly stood longer to greet each person and I think my sisters and my mom felt the same way. What a blessing to here all the wonderful comments people had to say. I learned things I didn't know about Daddy and the things that were said were wonderful. Mom did so well with greeting everyone. Her beautiful smile was a comfort to many and to me as the many times I glanced a look to see how she was doing. Each time she greeted each person with that warm smile through her many tears. The gospel was preached through my dad's pastor and I know that was what Daddy wanted. He layed it out nice and clear. My oldest sister and I spoke during the funeral. God's grace was there to help us do it and I'm glad we were able to do that.
If you think of it pray for my mom. It's so hard knowing she is by herself in her home now. She is a strong woman I see that more and more but I know she will be lonely. You may be wondering about the "yes it's me" sign. My parents have an amish taxi service and whenever we would pass daddy's van on the road we would have a hard time figuring out if it was Daddy cause there were alot of vans like Daddy's out there. So my sister had the great idea to get Daddy that license plate one year for christmas so we would know it was him. The head stone that you see in the picture above is the back of the headstone of my Dad's parents who Daddy is buried beside. Yes, God is our refuge and strength.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jack and Gina Plain said...

I was waiting for this post. You told the story so well. You really have a great way of describing things. Your mom really is a sweet woman and I'm sure your dad was all you and others say he was. Sorry I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him. I am glad he is assuredly in heaven now, but I know it is so hard to be missing him. Love, Gina

Carol Landis said...

I was so glad to be able to come to the funeral. You and Janie did an excellent job talking about your daddy. You made me cry and laugh at the same time. I will definitely be praying for you guys. What do you think your daddy is doing in heaven? Maybe he is talking to my mom about their daughters named Carol.
Love Ya
Carol