Sunday, December 07, 2008

Work outside the home?


So I've been thinking about something for awhile. It has to do with working outside of the home. Thinking back to when I was first married and Edwin and I started a family we decided that I would quit my job and be a stay at home mom. It would require sacrifices but it would be worth it. We were taught through many good teachings that staying at home and raising your family and caring for your home was a wonderful high calling. Of course I wanted that for my family. I wanted to be there for my children.
When my children were old enough I home schooled them. I home schooled our oldest daughter all the way through to graduation. Then I home schooled my son till 4th grade. But after a lot of counseling and talking things though with my husband and others we felt the timing was right to enroll our younger children in public school. We weren't the only ones to have our children enrolled in school there were others in our church who went that route too. Then you started to see more and more ladies getting jobs outside there homes at church. And then after 18 years of being at home my husband felt like I should get a job for financial reasons. I said it had to be the perfect job like a job where I can be at home when the kids are home from school. So I applied for a cafeteria job at my kids school and got the job. So now I work about 25 hours a week outside my home. It's a decent job the ladies are pleasant to work with and I have the added benefit of being around my son Rico who is in 11th grade and next year my daughter Bri will be in the high school as well. The money is helping us and it's a blessing. But I always have this thing in the back of my mind. Is this the best thing for our family. Are we walking in faith. What if we made the step of faith and said we aren't going to take the route of me working outside the home. God does promise to provide. But how does that look these days as opposed to Bible times. I must say there are many times I miss being at home many times I wish I could be at home taking care of my home daily. Anyway that's what I think about at times. What do you think about this issue? I'd love to here your thoughts no matter what they are.

2 comments:

Jack and Gina Plain said...

Maybe we could make this a topic when we see each other this coming week?

In a nutshell: best to be home, but better to do what your husband thinks is right (but we must give our input taking care to share what we understand God wants, not sway our husband toward what we want - whether it be to work or not to work) and not always possible to be home (fulltime at least) in every season of life. It seems very important to be home when our children are home and not to be neglecting our homes even when they aren't home.

I do think there are times when it may be necessary to work, but generally, the world often thinks it's necessary when it's not, so I guess we have to decide what necessary means.

This nut is getting bigger and bigger - in a nutshell - ha!

Anonymous said...

I never noticed that your front door isn't centered. Haha.

Yes, I would love to be home and not work outside the home. But I am obeying my husband, as Gina said. I never thought I would work while the children lived in our home...and now I look back and see that I've been at my job for 10 years. Unbelievable. I do believe that some things "suffer"...your time and energy, thoughts, etc. are divided.

Those are some of my thoughts.